Lexington, South Carolina Drunk Driving Accident Attorneys
Our personal injury lawyers fight for victims’ rights
Did a drunk driver cause your car accident in Lexington, Columbia, or another South Carolina community? Were you rear ended by a drunk driver? Are you or a family member seriously injured as a result of your crash? Knowing what to do next can often be overwhelming. That’s why it’s critical that you talk to an attorney familiar with drunk driving accidents in your area.
Our experienced, Lexington drunk driving accident lawyers at Johnson + Johnson Attorneys at Law can help you every step of the way. Our attorneys know how to investigate accidents and determine the cause of car accidents. We know what questions to ask, what evidence to identify and how to combine all that information into a strong legal case.
Just as importantly, we know the area and thoroughly understand South Carolina’s drunk driving laws. That’s because both our attorneys – brothers Kevin and Steven Johnson – were born and raised in Lexington. As a result, we know our community and welcome the opportunity to earn your trust. To us, you’re more than just a client. You’re family.
What types of accidents do drunk drivers cause?
Because alcohol affects reaction time, decision-making, and other essential abilities for motorists, drunk drivers can cause a wide range of collisions, including:
- Rear-end accidents.
- Head-on collisions, especially on two-way rural roads.
- Intersection accidents, for instance by running red lights.
- High-speed collisions.
- Asleep at the wheel accidents, especially at night.
When do most drunk driving accidents occur?
Most drunk driving accidents occur during the evening or late at night. In fact, drunk driving accidents at night are three times more common than collisions caused by impaired drivers during daylight hours, according to accident data collected by the National Highway Transportation Safety Administration (NHTSA).
Why are drunk driving car accidents so complicated?
Drunk driving accidents might seem straightforward. The other driver was clearly intoxicated and caused your collision. The reality is many legal cases involving accidents caused by drunk drivers turn out to be far more complicated. Reasons why include:
- The drunk driver denies driving under the influence (DUI) at the time of your accident.
- The drunk driver challenges blood alcohol or other test results.
- The other driver tries to claim you somehow caused the collision.
- The other driver’s attorney challenges the results of a DUI test.
- The cop who administered the blood alcohol or another DUI test made a mistake.
The stakes are too high to try to tackle your DUI accident on your own. Make sure you have an attorney on your side looking out for your best interests. Make sure you have Johnson + Johnson on your side, fighting for justice for you.
What should I do if I’m hit by a drunk driver?
You need to act fast to protect your health and your rights if you have been hit by a drunk driver in South Carolina. Such steps often include:
- Call the police right away and tell them you have been involved in a crash caused by a drunk driver.
- Don’t try to talk to the driver. Impaired drivers can be unpredictable and dangerous. If necessary, wait in your vehicle until the police arrive.
- Ask the police dispatcher to send an ambulance if you or anyone else appears seriously injured. Don’t try to diagnose yourself. Have a medical professional examine you.
- If someone saw your collision, get their name and phone number before they leave. Statements from eyewitnesses can be powerful pieces of evidence in support of your car accident claim.
- Take pictures of your accident if it’s safe to do so. The more pictures you have of your car crash and other important details, including traffic signs, streetlights and skid marks from the accident.
- Call a drunk driving accident lawyer at our South Carolina law firm as soon as possible. We can help you with all the details often associated with such complicated legal cases.
Does car insurance cover drunk driving accidents?
In most cases, yes. But first, it’s important to understand how car insurance works in South Carolina. The state has what’s known as an at-fault car insurance system. That means the at-fault party is responsible for paying injury victims for all their accident-related expenses.
So if you were hit by a drunk driver in South Carolina, that driver’s insurance company should pay for your accident-related expenses. But just because another driver’s insurance company should pay for your accident doesn’t mean they will actually do so. In many cases, you have to fight for what’s rightfully yours. That’s why it’s critical that you have an experienced drunk driving accident lawyer handling your insurance claim or lawsuit right from the start.
What is the average settlement for a drunk driving accident?
There’s no set dollar amount when it comes to how much money your drunk driving accident settlement is worth. You might be eligible to receive a few thousand dollars. Or your car accident settlement might be worth a lot more money. It often comes down many different factors, including the severity of your injuries, the length of your recovery and whether you need time off from work to recover. Every accident is different – and so is your settlement.
So how do you know how much money you’re eligible to receive for your drunk driving accident? The best way to find out is to talk to an experienced drunk driving accident attorney who knows how to handle such legal cases in South Carolina.
Can I sue a drunk driver for causing my accident?
Yes, you can file a lawsuit against a drunk driver who caused your accident, just like any other negligent driver. You can file a lawsuit in civil court even if the driver is not convicted of DUI or another charge in criminal court.
However, suing the drunk driver may not be your only option. You may be able to file a “dram shop” claim against a bar, restaurant, or other establishment if they knowingly served alcohol to the drunk driver when they were already intoxicated, or to a driver under the legal drinking age. In some circumstances, there may be other at-fault parties as well, such as a vehicle manufacturer, or the driver of another car involved in the wreck.
Whatever the circumstances of your collision, make sure you fully understand the legal options available to you. Make sure you talk to an experienced drunk driving accident lawyer in South Carolina.
Get justice after your drunk driving accident. Get Johnson + Johnson.
Just because the police are investigating your drunk driving accident does not mean you will automatically get the money you deserve. Their job is to determine what happened, not whether you are compensated. That’s our job, and we would be honored to work with you.
As your attorney, you can count on us to thoroughly investigate your drunk driving accident. We know how to review accident reports. We frequently consult with accident reconstruction experts. We know how to negotiate with insurance companies. Remember, you didn’t do anything wrong. A drunk driver caused your accident, and we can defend your rights.
Give your drunk driving accident the attention it deserves. Contact our law firm and schedule your free case evaluation right now. An experienced Lexington drunk driving accident attorney can review your case and explain all the options available to you.
Johnson + Johnson – a new class of attorney serious about winning your case.