Accidents between motorcycles and larger vehicles are often serious in South Carolina. That's because motorcyclists lack the protective shell a car offers and usually take the full brunt of the impact in a motorcycle accident. As a result, the injuries sustained in motorcycle wrecks can be severe, life-changing, and very costly to treat.
If you were injured in a South Carolina motorcycle accident that was not your fault, you have the right to seek compensation for your losses, such as medical bills, lost wages, motorcycle repairs, and pain and suffering. Unfortunately, insurance companies are often biased against motorcyclists and may do everything possible to delay, dispute, or deny your injury claim.
A motorcycle accident attorney can help you conquer these challenges and advocate for the financial compensation you're entitled to under the law. After a motorcycle wreck, you may be left wondering what to do. Here are some other ways an attorney can help.
A motorcycle accident lawyer can help you prove negligence.
To recover full compensation, you need to prove that your motorcycle accident was caused by the actions of another driver or through the negligence of another party, such as the manufacturer of a defective motorcycle part. An attorney can launch a thorough investigation to find evidence demonstrating someone else was responsible for your crash and injuries. Certain evidence can prove the other driver was:
- Speeding / Driving recklessly.
- Not focused on the road.
- Driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
- Texting / Distracted.
- Failed to yield or obey other rules of the road.
Again, the negligent party may not be a driver. The motorcycle manufacturer could be held liable if a defect in the motorcycle caused your crash. If a defect in the road caused your wreck, the parties responsible for maintaining roads could be at fault. Your attorney will be able to identify all potentially liable parties and hold each accountable for your damages.
A motorcycle accident lawyer can advocate for the compensation you deserve.
As the victim of a motorcycle accident, you may be entitled to compensation for your losses. However, it's common for insurance adjusters to make lowball settlement offers. As a result, you could receive a settlement offer that doesn't even come close to covering the total cost of your accident. An attorney can calculate the actual cost of your motorcycle crash and negotiate with the insurance company for a fair settlement.
The value of your motorcycle accident claim will depend on different factors, including but not limited to the following:
- The severity of your injuries and whether you will require long-term medical treatment.
- Your lost wages and the accident's impact on your career.
- The overall effect the motorcycle wreck has had on your life. For example, if you can no longer participate in activities you enjoy because of your motorcycle accident injuries, that should be considered when determining the cost of your losses.
- Available insurance.
- The amount of fault you share in the accident. In South Carolina, you are only eligible to recover compensation for your losses if you are less than 51% at fault for the accident. That means you can still recover compensation, but your final award will be reduced proportionately by your percentage of fault. For instance, if you are found to be 20% at-fault because you were speeding, your final financial award would be reduced by 20%.
A motorcycle accident lawyer can be your voice for justice.
You may think you don't need an attorney because it is clear who was at fault for your motorcycle accident. But the other driver may try to deny responsibility and blatantly argue that the accident was your fault. Likewise, the at-fault driver's insurance company could say you are partially responsible or that your injuries aren't that serious or were pre-existing. With an attorney by your side, you can rest assured that your rights are protected and that your best interests are considered throughout every step.
Talk to an experienced motorcycle accident attorney in Lexington, South Carolina.
If you were hurt in a motorcycle wreck, the legal team at Johnson + Johnson Attorneys at law can help. Our experienced motorcycle accident lawyers are dedicated to holding negligent drivers accountable and helping injury victims recover the compensation they need and deserve.
Contact us today to learn more about how we can help you and schedule a free case evaluation.